‘Corona Beer Virus’ & ‘Beer Virus’ Google Searches Are Booming

According to Google Trends, there has been an increase in searches for regarding the Coronavirus as people search out more information on the China-born virus that continues to spread.

Google posted on Twitter last week that worldwide search interest for “coronavirus symptoms” had jumped by 1,050% compared to the previous week while also listing the top five related searches during the previous 24 hours.

But there is more to the story.

Corona Beer Virus?

Apparently, there is an increasing number of people who are possibly confusing “Coronavirus” as having some connection to “Corona Beer” – with searches for “corona beer virus” and even “beer virus” taking a huge jump recently.

Asia has the honor of having several countries in the top 5 searchers for both terms led by Cambodia in both instances with Singapore, China and Sri Lanka joining the ranks.

Ah yes, the joys of the internet age with a wealth of information at our fingertips.

As you can see in the Google Trends report below, instances of people searching for “corona beer virus” took a sizable jump in January.

The “corona beer virus” search term is most popular in Cambodia, followed by Estonia, Singapore, Lithuania, and Sri Lanka.

Google Trends also shows a sizable increase in searches for “beer virus” – once again led by Cambodia, followed by Estonia, Sri Lanka, China & Singapore.

In the United States, Google Trends shows that 57% of the people searching one of those terms also searched for “beer virus,” and the remaining 43% searched for “corona beer virus.”

There is no connection says Corona

“We aren’t responding [to the conversation on social media], as we trust that our consumers, by and large, understand that this virus has nothing to do with our beer or our business,” said Maggie Bowman, senior director of communications for the beer division for Corona parent Constellation Brands.

To be fair, no one knows if this is people seriously making a connection between the two “Corona” named entities or it’s simply a case of humor on the part of searchers.

Comedian Ronnie Chieng may have been right when he quipped that the Internet has actually made us all dumber.

The stock price was about $190 a share on Thursday, down slightly from $195 last Friday.

Carry on.

MORE: Google Temporarily Closes Offices in China, Taiwan & Hong Kong Amid Coronavirus Crisis

This was published in collaboration with our content partner, Branding in Asia Magazine

Think Content Asia
We Create Engaging Content

The Latest

AMEX Research Shows Business Improvement in Singapore But Concerns Remain

According to the report, half also stated that both new customers and regular customers encouraging friends and family to shop at their businesses was crucial to any sort of recovery.

Digital Advertising in Australia Bounces Back in Q3

Advertisers’ buying preferences for content publishers’ inventory remained stable this quarter despite the uncertainty of the times, with 40% opting to buy via an agency, 16% direct, 11% via programmatic guaranteed, and 33% via programmatic RTB/PMP.

Goodbye Boozy Receptions, Blingy Booths, and Glitzy Giveaways – Hello Virtual Events

At least for the foreseeable future, says Ogilvy and even when physical meetings are again a reality, the event industry’s approach will have transformed forever.

Southeast Asia’s Internet Economy Eclipses US $100 Billion in 2020

“Despite significant challenges this year, the long-term outlook for Southeast Asia's digital economy remains more robust than ever," said Aadarsh Baijal, Partner and Head of Digital Practice in Southeast Asia, Bain & Company.

COVID-19 Wipes US$13 Trillion Off Top Nation Brand Values

Vietnam is the fastest-growing nation brand in this year’s ranking, its brand value skyrocketing 29% to US$319 billion.

Vietnam’s Clean Air High School on SE Asia’s Tallest Building

While Vietnam is on its way to tackle air pollution, a lot can be done to protect its citizens against fine dust.

TikTok Now the #1 Most Downloaded Entertainment App in SE Asia

Thailand and Vietnam have the third and fourth highest download index respectively this year, while the Philippines ranks #11.